Sherlock, Season 4: A Review

Friday, February 10, 2017


(Just a warning- if you haven't seen the show yet, there will be spoilers in this review, so you may not want to continue reading). 
  Who knew that such an edge-of-your-seat show, filled with murder, psychopaths, and deranged villains could also have such warm, touching, inspiring moments and hilarious situations? I don't think I've laughed harder in any other TV show  (If I ever need a smile, all I have to do is think about a certain few scenes involving Mrs. Hudson, Sherlock, a teacup, and a snazzy red car), and it is perhaps the seriousness and intensiveness of the majority of the show that makes the inspiring quotes and scenes that much more inspiring. There's probably about a dozen quotes and pictures I could add to this post...



 That being said, this came very close to being my least favorite season of Sherlock. The first episode was everything I had anticipated, but the last two... the way it was all pieced together sometimes made my head whirl, and the feel was sometimes more brutal than other Sherlock seasons. The situations and some things that happened also felt sometimes more like fantasy than reality, and I longed to go back to the "normal" cases of the previous seasons.  If, like me, you didn't care for The Abominable Bride when it came out, be warned- The Lying Detective and The Final Problem have a bit (or a more than a bit) of that feel to them. And more than half the time, Sherlock and John were spending time away from 221B and their friends there (although Mrs. Hudson was brilliant in this season!). 
  
 Sherlock and John's character development, though... that was awesome. Sherlock isn't anymore just a consulting whiz who you could admire and laugh at his antics- he was human. Compassionate. Sweet. Willing to sacrifice himself for his brother and best friend, and a person who can now relate to those going through hardship and heartbreak. I loved the scenes he did, and the relationship he had, with Faith, and was kind of disappointed when she turned out to be none other than Sherlock's sister in disguise... although it was, I guess, sweet to see the connection that I think existed between them there and later on. 



 I do wish I could have seen more of the baby, though. I would have loved to have seen (at the end of the show) how Sherlock  handled "fatherhood" (or, perhaps more accurately, "unclehood"), and all the funny situation challenges that could have occurred from this. How would Sherlock do changing a diaper? reading bedtime stories? tucking little Rosie into bed? And what would happen if Sherlock and John had to go on a case and there was to babysitter available... so they had to take Rosie along? I can just see Sherlock with a baby strapped to his back, making deductions... And Molly wasn't in it nearly enough for my taste. 
  

 Now about the ending... it was (almost) perfect! In some ways, anyway. Like I said, I wish we could have seen more of the baby, 221B, and everyone else. However, despite all that, it was a pretty good ending and I would love the show to (eventually, though- not yet!) end just like that... with John and Sherlock going on cases, the smiley face (with bullet holes, of course) still on the wall, and all their friends still there, helping out. The legend still living on. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 lovely thoughts

  1. Sorry this one didn't live up to all of your expectations, Korin. I loved this series. It's brilliance is something I appreciate in so many ways, but I also realize so much of it "escaped" me because this writing/series is THAT good. Glad you enjoyed some of it (Mrs. Hudson is brilliant this series!), and I agree, Molly is MIA far too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have sounded in my review that I disliked it more than I do- despite all I wasn't fond of, season 4 is growing on me. Yes, I agree, the show is brilliant! And the writing... I have no idea how they do it. It wasn't like I thought it was, and was disappointing in some ways, but in others, it far exceeded my expectations!

      Delete

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!