"Fire and Ice," by Mary Connealy

Thursday, October 08, 2015


"Fire and Ice," by Mary Connealy

Genre: Historical Fiction

My Rating: ♥♥♥ 3 and a half out of 5 hearts

Profanity: None

Inappropriate Scenes: None 

About:
In Fire & Ice Book 3 of the Wild at Heart Series, Bailey Wilde has been living disguised as a man for a while.  She is one of the best new ranchers in the West.  Five thousand acres of Gage Coulters best grazing land is lost to him because Bailey's homestead is located right across the only suitable entrance to a canyon full of lush grass.  When Gage tries to drive her off her homestead he quickly realizes he is dealing with a very tough and intriguing woman.  In a moment of weakness, Bailey agrees to a wild plan Gage concocts. Can these two independent ranchers earn each other's respect—and find love in the process?
Text from Christianbook.com

My Review: 
 First of all, the plot was pretty good. There didn't seem to be as much action as there was in the other two "Wild at Heart" books, though, and the mystery didn't seem to be too tough to solve, although I felt that it was done right. 
 The characters were great, and although Gage wasn't exactly as I thought he'd be (from the other books), Bailey was great and she and Gage went well together. I loved the rest of the characters as well. 
 Mrs. Connealy has a great writing style, and I love the bits of humor she throws in. The way she wrote the story, the characters almost seemed real. 
 About the cover- I thought it was awesome, and I always loved the picture on the spine. The photography was beautiful, and the nature pictures were so pretty. Also, the title was excellent. Very fitting for the characters. 
 I couldn't relate to the characters very well, but perhaps that is because my personality is so different from theirs and I've never been thrown into a situation like theirs. I could relate to Bailey's love for her sisters, though, and the loneliness of a long winter (I've never spent a winter alone, but from the tiring winters here, I can imagine how awful that must be).
 Now for the cons. It took me a little bit to get into the story for some reason, despite the fact that the beginning had some action. Also, I felt that there weren't enough side characters, maybe though because I was just missing Bailey's sisters. Also, by the time the book was finished, I felt that, while it was a good ending, some things were left unresolved. Things needed to be said and worked out. And also, the cover- while it did look amazing, the arm continuing onto the back cover was kind of... unusual-looking. Plus, the character didn't look quite the same as described in the book (wrong color of eyes- why do books do that sometimes?). 
 So overall, this book was a pretty good read. While not my favorite, though, I still think Mary Connealy did a great job with it.

Note: I got this book free from Bethany House in exchange for doing a review. All opinions are my own. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!