Since You've Been Gone by Tari Faris

Sunday, September 19, 2021



About: 

Leah Williams is back in the quaint town of Heritage, Michigan, and ready to try again to make her business a success. But blank slates are hard to come by, and a piece of her past is waiting for her there. Heir to the Heritage Fruits company, Jonathan Kensington is the guy who not only made Leah's past difficult, he also seems determined to complicate her present as well.

Jon is trying to prove to the Heritage Fruits board that he, not his manipulative uncle, should be running the business. The board insists Jon find a new owner for the building that will house Leah's business. To avoid forcing a buyout of Leah's part of the building, Jon strikes a compromise with Leah, and the two go into business together. With her vision and his know-how, it might work. And Leah might realize he's loved her since high school. If only he didn't keep on shooting himself in the foot by boxing her out of important decisions.

Sparks fly in this romantic story of two people who must learn to trust both each other and the one who called them to this journey.

Description and photo from GoodReads.com

My Review: 

💙💙 Two out of Five hearts= not a favorite

I wish I could have liked this more. It's got an amazing, adorable cover and I'd already read an excerpt, which was pretty good and was what drew me to the story in the first place (and yeah, again that adorable cover also was a pretty big draw. I mean, just look at it!). Plus, I think Leah's character is unique, and I wish I had her sense of vintage, slightly quirky yet cool, style.

The reason I gave it two stars is because the story itself just didn't seem that unique. I predicted much of what was going to happen before it did, which made for an unsatisfying ending since the element of mystery was gone. One of the main plot points is the romance, which got tiring. I think a book's storyline shouldn't revolve so much around the romantic aspect or else it gets boring and stereotypical.

Also, the many characters (especially the girls) confused me. Which was weird, since I'd read the other books in the series (actually had recently finished book 2), but I just had a hard time remembering who was who and what was what- they all kind of seemed the same.

If you like hallmark-type stories, or Christian romance where the characters face real life problems but happy endings abound, then this story may be for you. Unfortunately I just couldn't get into it.

I voluntarily received this book from the publisher in order to write an honest review. All opinions are truly my own.


Also, I apologize for the wonky font, sizing, etc. For some reason, Blogger has been glitching on me a lot lately. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!