A Midnight Dance by Joanna Davidson Politano

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Photo from Goodreads.com


About: 

There's nothing Ella Blythe has wanted more than to dance in a theater. So she's thrilled when she finally gets her chance at Craven Street Theater- the very same theater where, years ago, a famous ballerina met her tragic end. As time goes on, however, Ella begins to realize that her life is starting to mirror that of the dead ballerina's- eerily so. 

Ella's life has now just gotten a lot more complicated. Ballet is a competitive, and sometimes vicious, career, and once you've entered it, there's no going back. An old memory draws her closer to principle dancer, the mysterious, handsome Phillipe, but with the past haunting her, will all her dreams die?


My review:

Today when I think of ballet I think of hard work, beauty, the celebrity that comes with being a renowned ballerina, and lots of pink. However, the world of ballet in the 1800s was a hard, competitive world where ballerinas were seen as ruined and disgraced outside of the theater. Under Joanna Politano's pen and imagination, that dark world comes to life in A Midnight Dance. 

I just can't describe to you how much this book made me feel. I actually procrastinated for awhile on this review because I love this story so very much, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do the beauty of it justice. Only the best  books leave me breathless, and A Midnight Dance is up there at the top. 

There's so much to love about it, but some of the best things are the characters, particularly the heroine- flawed but beautiful, who captured me from page 1 with her artistic, beauty-loving soul. Then there's the one who will earn her heart (who, might I add, just set my standard for a boyfriend very high!); and the myriad of other characters whose stories are as varied and layered as the heroine's and hero's. 

 As I read Mrs. Politano's latest, I was struck, as I always am, at how unique and fresh her voice is in the Christian fiction world. If there were several passages from different books sitting in front of me, I'd know instantly which was written by her. You truly never know what's going to happen when you pick up a Joanna Davidson Politano novel. Her mind for storytelling is amazing, and the imagery she paints makes her a true artist. 


I voluntarily received this book from the publisher in order to write an honest review. All opinions are truly my own.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!