Beyond the Tides by Liz Johnson

Monday, August 23, 2021

Photo from Goodreads.com

About the book:

When Meg Whitaker's father decides to sell the family's lobster-fishing business to her high school nemesis, she sets out to prove she should inherit it instead. Though she's never had any interest in running the small fleet--or even getting on a boat due to her persistent seasickness--she can't stand to see Oliver Ross take over. Not when he ruined her dreams for a science scholarship and an Ivy League education ten years ago.

Oliver isn't proud of what he did back then. Angry and broken by his father walking out on his family, he lashed out at Meg--an innocent bystander. But owning a respected fishing fleet on Prince Edward Island is the opportunity of a lifetime, and he's not about to walk away just because Meg wants him to.

Meg's father has the perfect solution: Oliver and Meg must work the business together, and at the end of the season, he'll decide who gets it. Along the way, they may discover that their stories are more similar than they thought . . . and their dreams aren't what they expected.

Description from GoodReads.com



My Review:

I have to admit something- I was not sure about this book, and that was mainly because of the cover.

 Yes, the photo is perfect for the story setting and it's a well-taken photo and all that, but it just doesn't capture my interest. It doesn't scream, "Read me!!!" and so the main reason I chose to actually pick up the book was because I had read an excerpt of it, and I also knew Liz Johnson had written some good things in the past. 

Well, turns out that Beyond the Tides is probably my favorite of Liz Johnson's novels yet! I am so, so glad I didn't listen to my inner cover critic and bypass this book. 

Oliver and Meg start out not as friends, but more as enemies. Slowly, their relationship morphs into partnership, friendship, and then, quite possibly, something even more... I loved how these two progressed and changed over the course of the book!  Their banter was so fun, and I loved every interaction they had. 

Meg can come across as detached and cold sometimes, and as an introvert, I can totally relate to that. I love how Oliver just sort of ignores that to try and get to know the person she is underneath (I kind of may have a small crush on the guy....). 

The two also have some very realistic family problems. Meg's mom is losing her mobility and memory from an unknown illness. Oliver's father left him at a young age, and he's been dealing with the scars ever since. Life is messy and can't be wrapped up in a pretty bow, and I like how Liz Johnson deals with these issues. 

That excerpt for book 2 at the end really whet my appetite for the continuation of the series- I can't wait to see what happens next! 

I voluntarily received this book from the publisher in order to write an honest review. All opinions are truly my own.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!