Between the Wild Branches by Connilyn Cossette

Wednesday, July 21, 2021


Photo from GoodReads.com

My Review:

Although I liked book one, To Dwell Among Cedars, I've gotta say, this book is my definite favorite!

The story focuses on Lukio, a famous fighter in biblical-era Philistia. When he reconnects with a childhood friend involved in some dangerous espionage, he begins to question his purpose in this country where debauchery and evil reign.

I loved reading Lukio's point of view! The rebel child who ran away from home, he's not a squeaky-clean protagonist- in fact, he's far from it. Then there's Shoshana, the girl he loved- a woman with high morals, who would sacrifice herself to save another. Honestly, I didn't really like Shoshana in the first book. I'm not really sure why, I guess maybe I thought she was a little boring? But in this book, she shows herself to be a mature, brave woman, equal to stand up to Lukio, and I really liked her.

The cover is gorgeous as well! I absolutely love how it connects with Eliora's book, showing the bond between brother and sister. I was a bit confused by the model they chose for Lukio, though- his hair is dark, not light like it was supposed to be (an important point, showing that Lukio's family was foreign), and he doesn't seem all that tall or fighter-ish.

Some books I've read in this genre turned out to be low in action and interest, and since I've read the Bible stories they were based off of, I knew what direction they were going to go. However, while this duology is based off of true Biblical events, there's still enough fiction there to keep you guessing at how everything will end.

While Biblical fiction isn't a genre I read that much, Connilyn Cossette has proven to be an author to keep on my watchlist.

I voluntarily received this book from the publisher in order to write an honest review. All opinions are truly my own.
 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!