The Christmas Swap by Melody Carlson

Wednesday, September 16, 2020


Photo from ChristianBook.com

                                                                               
♥♥♥♥ Four out of five hearts

About: 

All Emma Daley wants this holiday season is a white Christmas. But the young teacher and struggling musician sure can't find that in sunny Arizona. Luckily, there's someone living in a perfect mountain home in the Colorado Rockies looking to make a vacation trade this year.

Tyler Prescott is an in-demand songwriter and talented musician who put his own singing career on hold to write songs for celebrity acts to perform. When his mother convinces him to do a vacation trade for Christmas, he never imagined one of the houseguests would be so sweet--or so strikingly pretty. Naturally, he decides to stick around, and, to get better acquainted, he poses as the house's caretaker. But when Emma's friend Gillian discovers his true identity and sets her sights on him, things
get . . . messy.

Fan favorite Melody Carlson is back with another delightful Christmas tale to warm your heart on those cold winter evenings.

Description from books.google.com


My Review: 

West is hiding the fact that he's an award-winning, well-to-do song writer. Emma is a down-to-earth musician who makes her living by being a schoolteacher. However, she gets to know West as himself, not as the famous songwriter he is, and it adds charm to their relationship (she actually thinks he's a lowly caretaker). Their relationship progressed fairly quickly, but West and Emma were really sweet, and I loved their scenes together. 

The setting is really cool, too. The story takes place in a snowy, Christmassy small-town, and West's house is basically winter wonderland. Plus, there's lots of skiing, so Melody Carlson definitely added all the right ingredients for the perfect Christmas set-up! 

This book reminded me so much of a Hallmark Christmas movie! Except it had more of a plot, believability, and meaning than your typical Hallmark film. I can totally see the channel getting their hands on this book (just don't ruin it, please, Hallmark!) and I would definitely be down for watching that.

I will say I was a bit disappointed with how the story ended. I just turned the page and- that was it?!! I'm a fan of not resolving everything in a book because real life doesn't end that way. However, I thought The Christmas Swap (and the characters themselves) deserved a bit more of an ending.  I did see that there's a special edition out with a bonus chapter? So maybe that version has the missing pieces I was wanting. 

And Gillian was definitely not a favorite of mine. She was so spoiled, it was hard to see why practical, down-to-earth Emma was even her friend, and Gillian's actions throughout the story made it very hard to like her even a little bit. It definitely felt like a one-sided friendship. The two things I didn't like about the book, however, didn't stop me from enjoying this sweet holiday read. 

In between all of the hustle and bustle, The Christmas Swap is a fun little Christmas treat to enjoy this holiday season. 

I voluntarily received this book from the publisher in order to write an honest review. All opinions are truly my own.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 lovely thoughts

  1. Oh, this sounds like a sweet thing that I'd like! Nice review, Korin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Movie Critic! Always nice to hear from you.

      Delete

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!