4 Reasons Why I Don't Like Teen Fiction

Friday, September 02, 2016




I know, teen fiction can be pretty popular- and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, necessarily, I'm just not too fond of the genre.  Here are 4 reasons why I don't like teen fiction.

#1. They seem to be mainly romances.

Or maybe I should say, most seem to be based on romance or have it in them. I know most teens are into romance, and it's a pretty popular subject, but I just get tired of reading about it in the YA genre. Sometimes I just feel like reading an adventure story, that is all about the adventure- I'm not reading it for the romance. And not everyone likes romance books anyway- my brothers, for instance. They have few books to read because they aren't really into many of the children's books at the library, yet they'd never read a romance. Therefore, the number of books they have to read are limited. Now, I'm not saying all romance should be taken out of YA fiction, just the focus shouldn't always be on it. And I also realize that there are a few gems out there that omit romance in their stories or don't have it as the story's main plot, and I'm grateful to their authors for this. 

#2. The characters are immature. 

As a teen myself, I realize I'm not the most mature person out there, and I won't have fully matured until I'm older. Yet I get tired of reading about characters in teen fiction that act more like ten-year-olds than the young adults that they are. This also makes their romantic relationships seem pointless and immature.  In time periods past, and in other cultures of today, they would be considered full-fledged adults, and expected to act like it. This is the reason I like reading medieval or fantasy YA. Yes, there is romance. But the characters are already 16, 17, or 18 year-old adults. And, for the most part, they act like it. 

#3. A lot of times, the stories are in first person. 

I've noticed this more with the contemporary YA. This is not necessarily  bad, I'm just not a fan of first-person, and can get into a book and it's characters more if it's in another point of view. 

#4. There main characters aren't male

When I'm reading a book, I don't really think about this as much. However, trying to find decent novels that would interest male readers (namely, my brothers) has made me realize how few YA books have males as the main characters. And let's face it- what guy wants to read about crushes and makeup? I'm not really into those types of books so much myself. And I know for a fact that when my brothers are looking for a good book, they're not really going to be interested in trying the book unless the protagonist is a guy. Again, I realize there are some novels out there that have guys as main characters, I just think there's not enough of it. 



 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 


 I'm not totally opposed to the  young adult genre. If you go into my bedroom you'll see some Melanie Dickerson and Dina Sleiman on my shelves. Yet these are the reasons I groan when I hear the words 'teen fiction' and the things I think should be changed about it. So, what do you think? What do you like or dislike about teen fiction? 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!