Undaunted Hope, by Jody Hedlund

Friday, January 15, 2016

Undaunted Hope, by Jody Hedlund

Book 3 in the Beacons of Hope series

Genre: Historical Fiction

Rating: ♥♥♥♥ 4 hearts

Profanity: None

Inappropriate Scenes: None

Description:
Running from the mistakes of her past, Tessa Taylor heads to the uppermost reaches of Michigan, planning to serve as the new teacher to the children of miners. She quickly learns the town had requested a male teacher, but Percival Updegraff, superintendent and chief mine clerk, says she can stay through winter since it's too late to replace her. Tessa can't help but thank him and say she is in his debt.
Determined to make herself irreplaceable once spring thaw arrives, Tessa throws herself into her work, and soon two students have decided Miss Taylor is the right match for their grieving father. At the same time, charming assistant lightkeeper Alex Bjorklund makes his interest known, surprising Tessa, who has never had men fight for her hand before. But not all is well as she feels that someone is tracking her every move, and she may not be able to escape the trap that has been laid for her. 
Description from the back cover. 




My Review:

Although it took me awhile to get into the story, and the mood could be a little depressing at times (just a little, because of the plot), as the story is set in winter ,  I did enjoy this book. 
Alex and Tessa's characters were lovable and while I have never read the first two books in the series before, I caught up quickly and there wasn't much of a problem there. I also liked the writing style, as it was written in a way that makes you feel as though the characters are real. the cover was great as well.
I did dislike the way Alex and Tessa seemed to get a little too close during the first part of the story. While neither of them would have ever done anything that should be reserved for marriage, I felt that they did get a bit too much with all the kissing, etc. However, that might have been what the author intended for the story plot. 
Alex and Tessa's romance goes through a few problems, as all romances do, and the end was very fulfilling. I would be interested to read the other books in the series now and see how the other characters and their romances developed. 
So, all in all, the cover was great, the story line and writing style were as well, and the romance was awesome. While there were a few flaws and the book wasn't one of my top favorites, it was still a good novel and I'm glad I got to review it. 

Note: I got this book free from Bethany House in exchange for doing a review. All opinions are my own. 








  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!