Her Part to Play by Jenny Erlingsson

Friday, June 28, 2024

Photo from Amazon.com


About:

Desperate for extra income after her mother's passing, Adanne accepts a last-minute job as a makeup artist for a movie filming in her small Alabama hometown. She's working to save her parents' legacy and help her brother, but the money hardly seems worth having to face the actor who got her fired from her last job in Hollywood.

John Pope has made his share of mistakes over the years. But after turning his life over to God and enduring a messy breakup, he's ready to start rebuilding his career. Imagine his surprise when the woman called in to cover for his usual makeup artist is a quiet but feisty newcomer on the set--and definitely not a fan.

Sparks of tension--and could that be attraction?--fly between them, but Adanne hates the spotlight, and John's scheming manager has bigger plans for him than to end up with the humble makeup girl from the small-town South. Can these star-crossed lovers find their way to happiness? Or will the bright lights of Hollywood blind their eyes to what's right in front of them?

Description from Amazon.com

Review:

My rating: ♥♥ two out of five hearts = not a fan

I hate giving vanilla feedback for an author's debut, since I know how much love and hard work goes into their writing, however, I wasn't a fan of this novel. It wasn't bad, there just wasn't anything about this story that I particularly connected with, and I found myself skimming most of it to get to the end. No aspect of the story pulled me in, or stood out to me.

 I struggled to connect with either main character. Adanne, although she has a heart of gold, starts off a little crusty. My first reaction was to dislike her, although she did get a bit better as the story went on. John was fine. I didn't really dislike him or like him either way. Although in no way was either character or their story perfect, they kind of felt like Hallmark channel characters. 

The first few lines of the story bothered me as well, as they were very choppy sentences. I'm not sure if the rest of the book was written that way or not- probably because I skimmed most of it, and therefore didn't notice. 

I voluntarily received this book from the publisher in order to write an honest review. All opinions are truly my own.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!