No Other Will Do, by Karen Witemeyer

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

(Sorry, I couldn't post a picture of the book- Blogger is't letting me)


No Other Will Do, by Karen Witemeyer

Genre: Historical Romance

Book One in the Ladies of Harper's Station series

Rating: 5 out of 5 hearts  ♥♥♥♥♥

About: 
"Men are optional." That's what Emma Chandler learned from her suffragette aunts---and the principle underlining their women's colony in Harper's Station, Texas. But when an unknown assailant tries repeatedly to drive them out, Emma admits that they might need a man after all...one who can fight. Will Malachi Shaw fit the bill? 

Description from Christianbook.com 

My Review: 

Ms. Witemeyer does awesome books, combining a lighthearted feel, historical romance, and action or mystery in a great bundle. This latest book and first in her newest series is no different. 
Malachi Shaw is one of my favorite heroes so far from her books, and I enjoyed Emma Chandler's impulsive, friendly personality as well. I also liked their interaction together, and really just enjoyed every moment of their romance. And the aunts, Bertie and Henry, really were some great, lovable (and loving) characters,  making me smile at certain moments in the story. The characters were, all in all, just great. 
 I loved how the mystery played out, as well. I did guess the culprit right (at least somewhat) which was cool, although it didn't make the intensity seem less, as I still wasn't completely sure until the end. I really wanted the characters to succeed, and inwardly cheered them on until the last page. 
Another thing I loved about this novel was the cover. I think I've said it before, but I love it when it matches the book's description of a character, and this one did to a T. The curls, dress, pocket watch... and I loved how they showed the town in the background. Not as playful or whimsical as previous covers, but still good.  A good cover just makes a book seem more realistic. 
 One other thing I like about all (or most) of Mrs. Witemeyer's books  is that she shows the character's backstory, she doesn't just tell you about it. It's just a small thing, but something I love about her writing. 
This book, overall,deserves an A+. I loved every minute of it! 


Note: I got this book free from Bethany House in exchange for doing a review. All opinions are my own.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 lovely thoughts

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Korin. I've heard of this one, but haven't read it. I think I have to be in the "right mood" for a western. :) Really glad you have such high praise for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand- I have to be in the certain mood for different books as well. :)
      Yes, I really enjoyed it! What are some of your favorite types of books? Thanks for stopping by with another comment, Rissi!

      Delete

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!