Never Leave Me by Jody Hedlund

Thursday, January 20, 2022

Photo from GoodReads.com

About:

In the last stages of a genetic disease, Ellen Creighton has decided to live out her remaining days at the estate of her longtime friend Harrison Burlington. Harrison cares deeply for Ellen, but as a wheelchair-bound paraplegic, he's never allowed himself to get serious in a relationship. However, he's desperately trying to save her by finding the holy water that is believed to heal any disease.

When he locates two flasks, Ellen refuses to drink one of them because she believes the holy water killed her sister and father. In an effort to convince her to take it, Harrison ingests the contents first, and when Ellen witnesses the effects, she can no longer deny the power of the substance in the bottles. Dangerous criminals are also seeking the holy water, and Ellen soon learns they will go to any lengths to get the powerful drug--including sending her back into the past to find it for them.

Description from GoodReads.com


Review:

Ellen and Harrison are both interesting characters and I especially enjoyed the first part of their story together. However, especially as the story progressed, I began to feel detached from what was happening. I just couldn't connect with the story, which is kind of how I felt while reading Stay With Me, book one in the series. Maybe it's the time period they're traveling back to that disinterests me- I've never been too fond of that time in history. The plot also felt rushed and lacking in depth.

 I love the concept- two people, who have never been able to live life the way they wished due to health problems, confronted with a magical water that can turn back time- and also heal the body. What is morally right in this situation? Who should drink of this water- Ellen or Harrison? The kids in the hospital that Ellen helps at? Who is deserving of healing? I think Jody does a pretty good job of answering the questions in Never Leave Me, and it's in an engaging way through time travel. I just wish the plot itself had felt less rushed- I really wanted to like this book more. 

I voluntarily received this book from the publisher in order to write an honest review. All opinions are truly my own.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!