Blackberry Beach by Irene Hannon

Monday, April 26, 2021

Image from Christianbook.com


About:

Katherine Parker is on the cusp of having everything she ever wanted--fame, money, and acclaim. So why isn't she happy? In search of answers, she comes incognito to Hope Harbor on the Oregon coast for some R&R. Maybe in her secluded rental house overlooking the serene Pacific she'll be able to calm the storm inside.

Coffee shop owner Zach Garrett has found his niche after a traumatic loss--and he has no plans to change the life he's created. Nor does he want to get involved with his reticent new neighbor, whose past is shrouded in mystery. He's had enough drama to last a lifetime. But when Katherine and Zach are recruited to help rehab a home for foster children, sparks fly. And as their lives begin to intersect, might they find more common ground than they expected . . . and discover that, with love, all things are possible?

Bestselling and award-winning author Irene Hannon invites you to come home to Hope Harbor--where hearts heal . . . and love blooms.

Description from the back cover copy. 

My Review:

Hope Harbor is a peaceful, enjoyable setting to be thrust into. The small town is friendly and calm, with residents who can be slightly quirky at times. Maybe because this is one of the last books in the series, though, I wished the author could have let me experience more of this charming place. Kat is somewhat of a recluse and Zach doesn't have all that many friends, so their POVs tended to be just them a lot of the time at home, or of them together. I wanted to see the more of the townspeople, but again, perhaps I was disappointed because this is book 7 and the town's personality has already been established in previous books. 

I was interested to see how everything would work out between Zach and Kat. What do you do if your dreams are pulling you in opposite directions? However, there's hesitancy in much of the story, at least in the first half- Zach wants to get to know Kat, Kat tries to avoid him. I got a bit bored, to be honest. The last half of the book did pick up a bit, but still, it took me much longer than normal to finish this novel. 

If I sound uncertain in this review, that's because I am. While I didn't exactly love the story, there were some good parts- like Charlie. I liked him, and was slightly confused by him at the same time. The pastor and priest were pretty cool characters, too. I just didn't connect with the rest of the story- but perhaps readers who have enjoyed this series for years (or who don't mind a slow pacing) would disagree with me. Reading the previous books might also knock down some of the reservations I had about this book.

One positive thing I do have to say- I am a pastry and baking student and absolutely DESPISE tempering chocolate, so much respect for Kat's chocolatiering skills! 

I voluntarily received this book from the publisher in order to write an honest review. All opinions are truly my own.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!