All That We Carried by Erin Bartels

Monday, January 04, 2021


Photo from Amazon.com


Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Rating: 4 out of 5 hearts



About:

Olivia and Melanie's lives were turned upside-down when their parents were tragically killed ten years ago. In an effort to reconnect with her sister and find healing, Melanie proposes a hiking trip in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and Olivia reluctantly agrees. However, neither of them are prepared for how their trip will test their limits- and change their lives. 

 My Review:

When the story begins, Olivia is logical, bitter, and holds a cold, detached view of the world. Her sister Melanie, on the other hand, is sensitive, full of "good vibes", and chooses to believe in a bit of every religion that she encounters. Their trek through the Michigan wilderness will test everything they have, and either tear them apart for good, or ultimately bring them back together again. Either way, neither woman will emerge from the woods the same. 

Conflict and hard decisions are so prevalent in the world, and I think that's why people will relate to Olivia and Melanie. In a world where families are torn apart every day because of hard circumstances (and sometimes even trivial ones), it becomes important to know what path the sisters will take. Erin Bartels takes us on this tragic and beautiful journey in an eloquent way, and subtly presents the reader with questions about their own lives to think through. 

I also seriously really want to go on a long hike now with my own sister (maybe not quite like Melanie and Olivia's hike, though). 

Sister stories hold a special place in my heart, and I found that Olivia's and Melanie's was so relevant to me right now. Theirs is a sad story to start out with, but it's also a story of forgiveness, love, and hope, and I'm so glad I got to go on this journey with them. 

I voluntarily received this book from the publisher in order to write an honest review. All opinions are truly my own.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!