Claim Your Crown by Tarrah-Lynn Saint-Elien

Saturday, March 07, 2020

Photo from Christianbook.com

Genre: Christian Living/Young Adult

Rating: ♥♥♥♥ four out of five hearts= good


About:

Young women are deeply dissatisfied with society's standards (and double standards). They want more for themselves--but sometimes they don't quite know what that more should be. That's where Miss Black New Jersey 2018 and Teen Vogue "It Girl" turned fashion writer Tarah-Lynn Saint-Elien comes in.

Through her insightful comments on media, pop culture, and pervading cultural myths about beauty, fashion, and womanhood, Tarah-Lynn dismantles the messages that feed into the insecurities, fears, doubts, and guilt that young women experience today. She introduces them to an understanding of God as a loving Father and the King of all kings, who bestows upon his daughters a crown of love, worth, and power. And she shows them how to not only claim the promises of God but also walk purposefully in them as independent women (no prince necessary!) who respond to adversity with righteousness and authority.


Description from Amazon.com

My Review:

Directed at teen girls, Claim Your Crown takes aim at the lies they're told every day and destroys each one with truths straight from the Bible (and attitude straight from Tarrah-Lynn herself). Its message is simple, which kind of bored me at first, but I see the wisdom in directing this simple truth to younger teenage girls, and everyone needs a reminder of how much God loves them. 

My initial reaction after reading the first chapter or so wasn't all that positive- I dislike it when I start a book and the author begins listing off how their words will have changed me by the time I've finished. It just seems too presumptive and slightly prideful, and that's how Tarrah-Lynn started out this book. However, over time I began to see that she might not have meant it that way and I liked it much better as I read on. 

A former Miss Black New Jersey, the author is someone girls can look up to and Instagram for inspiration and truth long after they've finished this YA read. As someone moving out of my teen years, the book wasn't one I'll reference often, but her words are perfect for building up young Christ-followers to realize their worth as loved and cherished princesses under their Father's rule. 

 I voluntarily received this book from the publisher in order to write an honest review. All opinions are truly my own.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 lovely thoughts

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!