The Reluctant Duchess, by Roseanna M. White

Friday, April 15, 2016


The Reluctant Duchess, by Roseanna M. White

Genre: Historical Fiction

Book 2 in the Ladies of the Manor series

Rating: Five out of Five Hearts ♥♥♥♥♥

About:

Lady Rowena Kinnaird may be the heiress to a Highland earldom, but she's never felt good enough-- not for her father, not for the man she thought she'd marry, not for God. But after a shocking attack, she's willing to be forever an outcast if it means escaping those threatening her life. 
 Brice Myerston, the Duke of Nottingham, has never been one to shy away from manor-born ladies, yet the last thing he needs is the distraction of the newly introduced Lady Rowena. He has enough on his plate having recently come into possession of a rare treasure for which many would kill, yet those around him seem intent on pairing him with this desperate but beguiling girl. 
 Rowena is reluctant to marry this notorious flirt. And when she learns that Brice is mixed up in some kind of questionable business with a stolen treasure, she fears she'll end up in more danger than she fled. 
Description from back cover.

My Review:

I never read the first book in  this series, and I wish I'd had the chance to before starting on this novel. However, I still immensely enjoyed reading this book. 
 The characters were interesting, each with a different, distinct personality, and I loved how Brice's sense of humor was thrown in in little ways without seeming awkward or obvious. I felt sorry for Rowena (as well as mad when she misunderstood several situations- I was really into the book) and enjoyed Ella's bouncy personality. By the time I'd finished reading, the characters felt  like friends to me. 
 While at first I didn't enjoy the story too well, due to the darker beginning because of certain situations Rowena was in, things got better and I enjoyed the story plot.  I do wish I had gotten the chance to read book 1 (The Lost Heiress) first, however, as things begun in it continued on in this book, and sometimes I got a bit confused. That being said, I still really liked this book, each chapter leaving me wanting to read more. However, if you're planning on reading this book, for ease of reading and knowing the characters better, it's probably wise to read book 1 first. 
The realistic writing style, great plot line, engaging characters, and realistic problems the characters face and that many can relate to made The Reluctant Duchess and excellent read! 

Note: I got this book free from Bethany House in exchange for doing a review. All opinions are my own. 


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 lovely thoughts

  1. Sorry for my lack of comments recently Korin! Hopefully I will improve soon. In the meantime here is a tag if you would enjoy doing it!
    http://createdbythecreated.blogspot.com/2016/05/top-ten-villans-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine, Lydia! I haven't been commenting a lot on blogs myself lately. :) Thanks so much for the tag! I will do it soon.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments- they make my day! However, please be nice and leave no spam or comments with offensive language. Thanks!